My most cherished relationship came to an unexpected halt over the summer and left me reeling and bewildered. Part of the unforeseen fallout from the situation included the fact that several of my possessions remain on the east coast while I am on the west coast. Among the items are my one set of cold-weather boots and all, yes all, of my coats.
At first, it was fine to be without these items...items which I fully plan to reclaim when possible. Living at the beach in Southern California, I was in no rush to wear a heavy leather coat. But now I'm facing daytime temperatures in the 50s and nights in the 30s and I could really use that stuff. While ruminating about what to do in order to acquire my belongings, and getting nowhere in the process, a lovely thought dawned on me that is worth far more than the specific bits of clothing.
I realized that the coats and boots represented qualities that it appeared I'd been stripped of when the relationship ended. I felt I'd lost warmth, coziness, comfort and the like -- the very sorts of concepts we associate with coats and boots.
I then contemplated how the departure from my life of a particular person could no more rob me of warmth and comfort than could the absence of particular garments. Warmth and coziness are qualities that are part of me -- that come from within. And I could expect to feel and experience coziness regardless of my circumstances.
A few hours later I found a lightweight jacket that I'd forgotten I owned. It was just enough to stave off the night's chill. While I smiled and was grateful for the piece of clothing, I was far more grateful for the internal warmth the lesson had provided.
I have no doubt that at some point I will either retrieve my existing possessions or be blessed with even finer ones, but for now, I've received a lesson that will warm my heart without cessation. I'm so grateful for these sweet lessons that are always there and patiently awaiting our acceptance. Bring on the metaphors!

No comments:
Post a Comment