Monday, July 28, 2014

Never too late to love

I'm late! I'm late!
No time to say hello, goodbye
I'm late! I'm late! I'M LATE!
... or am I?

How often do we feel that exact sentiment -- that we've no time for pleasantries, for ourselves, for relaxation.?  Frankly, there doesn't even seem to be enough time for work and vital tasks.  For the past few years I've changed my attitude about my day's productivity.  I'd switched from ruing the long list of things gone un-done to celebrating those things that were successfully accomplished.  Doing so left me with a grateful and satisfied smile by day's end.

Recently, however, I've moved away from that approach to a new, even more satisfying one. Now I gauge the success of my day, not by how much 'good' I did, but by how much I loved.  Was I patient with the person who needed to vent for the umpteenth time?  Did I forgive the person who engaged in some sort of bad behavior yet again, despite all of the promises to 'do better'?  Did I take time to calmly and confidently go through my day striving to slow down and view my fellow man through the eyes of love, casting aside the worries or burdens of what I did or did not 'accomplish'?

Tasks get done when they get done -- and usually they get done in time to prevent global catastrophe. So today I am going to look at my 'to do' list as a series of opportunities to love more fully and sincerely. It doesn't matter one jot how many items I check off of my list. All that matters is how I handle the tasks I do engage in, and how much I love all involved during the process.

After all, according to physicists, 'time' doesn't really exist -- not as an actual power, anyway. It's just a human construct -- a tool, a measurement we use to order our lives, much like numbers, letters and musical notes. Love, however, is the most powerful force in the universe. And I intend to tap into that infinite power and put it to good use today, knowing that this activity will ensure a hugely productive day that will bless myself and those I connect with in my daily round.

No comments:

Post a Comment