Monday, May 12, 2014

A Paw-Picked Family

During a few less than stellar moments in my youth, I remember thinking, "Why did I get stuck with this family?!?  Ugh, I wish I could have picked my family!"

I'm guessing you've met someone who's felt the same way at some point.

As an adult I found myself with no family.  Loving friends filled the gap, always making me feel welcome, wanted and cherished.  I thought my 'family' days were over.  Turns out my dog had other ideas.

A (friend of whom my dog was very fond) began inviting me over once a week to watch a television show with his family.  Since it was right down the street from a class I attended on the same night, I was thrilled to stop by his house on the way home.  As my dog was with me, I arranged for her to stay in my (her) SUV, where she had water and food and cozy bedding.  At one point, the friend asked me to bring my dog in to watch the show -- only, the lady of the house was not a fan of dogs.

Little by little, my canine companion began visiting.  Eventually, it got to the point where the family invited me over just so they could see my dog!  My beloved pooch has since moved on to 'dog heaven,' but thanks to her, the friends I mentioned have become adopted family. They include me in their private holiday and birthday celebrations and treat me like a beloved member of their nucleus.

On the surface, it might appear like I have nothing in common with the dear souls who have embraced me so completely.  But where political debates and tastes end, heartfelt love begins.  In fact, I am literally 'Mom' to the family's dog my friend and I acquired for them as a replacement for my dog when she passed, as a way of assuaging the grief of my adopted adopted loved ones, who were disconsolate.

When I think back on the precious pup who initially brought us together, I smile, and say a little prayer of gratitude for how she found me a new family.  I may not have picked them myself, but I could not have done better.  They are wonderful.  And I am blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment