Most likely not in the way you are thinking.
I don't play any Zynga games or (generally) spend hours on end engaged in recreational chit chat via any given thread post.
My motivation for being on Facebook is simple. I am launching a business and it is a wonderful tool for cultivating an audience of those specifically interested in what I have to offer.
And may I point out that it is FREE.
Since I am currently putting in over 120 hours a week on my computer, with Facebook open at all times, I see a high volume of thoughts and posts scroll by. This includes a large percentage of posts saying things like "Facebook... leave well enough alone! Stop making changes! I don't like the new Timeline! I want the old format back. If you agree, repost and demand that Facebook change things back."
I truly do understand these sentiments... but personally do not agree with a one of them.... here is why. What I have been a party to through my interactions on Facebook has been touching, nurturing, healing and altogether lovely. I have witnessed strong friendships forged, true romances kindled, long lost connections reunited, cultures shared, ideas exchanged, passionate beliefs proffered. Beyond that I have seen overwhelming support and love for strangers, on-the-spot cleverness beyond anything a professional comedian could come up with, and the photos.... the PHOTOS!!!!! And again, all for free!
I am an admin for my own pages as well as several for friends who have small businesses but not a clue about how to use social media. All told I run more than 20 pages. So I see my fair share of posts and comments. I am also part of a few special interest Facebook groups. One of which routinely reminds me of all that is wonderful about human beings and how they are capable of treating each other [yes that means you guys at BtM-MS]... Again, all for free.
What is not free is Facebook advertising, which I have just begun to take advantage of in the last few weeks. The format is a win-win-win proposition for Facebook, the advertiser and the consumer. As for the price... well it's the best value I have ever seen in advertising.
IPOs and functionality glitches notwithstanding... (hey, cut them some slack... they are open 24/7 and don't have the luxury of waiting to do maintenance 'after hours' at a time when everyone is offline), I have a hunch that 20 years from now, many who are currently frustrated and pulling their hair out may very well find themselves hunkered down in front of their family room wall (which is actually a tv), oohing and ahhhing with loved ones over the photos they are viewing on their Facebook Timeline.
So I say thank you... to Facebook.. to all who work in social media to bring us together, who enable us to share, immediately, globally, and free-ly.

I want to steal your Facebook "love" button and post it right here in this comment. <3
ReplyDelete