Sunday, December 18, 2011

Visions of sugar plum fairies danced in my head

A favorite holiday tradition of mine is seeing The Nutcracker Ballet.
I try to go alone -- primarily so that I can cry in public privacy as I marvel at the beauty and magic onstage.  Friends tend to become concerned when they are witness to the waterworks, so I have generally favored making this trek solo.  


I am graced with a wonderful performance troupe in my city.  The Long Beach Ballet may not be the biggest or poshest dance company on earth, but it delivers consistently.... and it's got heart! ♡


I never danced The Nutcracker during my years as an aspiring ballerina... I always had other holiday commitments that precluded my involvement.  But I more than made up for it as a fan, not only of the ballet itself and its music, but its namesake, having collected well over a hundred wooden nutcrackers of various shapes and themes.


When I took my seat at today's performance I was prepared to be open to anything and everything presented.  It didn't matter if I had seen it a zillion times before.  I was determined to find the show fresh and polished, even if I recognized the choreography and sets from productions gone by.  Instead, I sat in wide-eyed wonder as new choreography and prima perfect costumes pirouetted across the stage.


Highlights for me included the show's comedy... planned and otherwise.  The production was injected with a smattering of delightful and whimsical humorous valentines, making it accessible and heartwarming for all ages.  My favorite bit of comedy came from the choral section where a very junior singer's voice rang out enthusiastically, loudly, and flat!  As if that weren't enough, the tinny din aroused a sleeping babe in the audience who decided to mimic the off-key serenade.


Equally adorable was the staging of many of the duet performances that included squadrons of itty bitty ballerinas in training, outfitted as preciously as an Anne Geddes newborn.


From the production to the venue to the ushers to the weather, my Nutcracker experience this year became an instant 'treasured memory'.


On the way home I grabbed an egg nog latte as a means of delaying my departure from Candy Land. While waiting for my drink I realized I get to look forward to doing it all again next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment