Sunday, September 25, 2011

How to Help when you don't know how

My friend's world just fractured.


I could hardly speak when I got the news.  


We've all had major blowouts and detours along life's highway, and we do our best to bear up nobly under the situation's extreme duress.  But what do you do when it happens to someone else, someone you care about - and there is not a darn thing you can do about it?


I doubt there is anything I could say that would in any way help.  In fact, I think any consoling may more than likely come off as canned parsimonious rubbish.  


My natural nurturing inclinations compel me to make contact, to make it all better, to find the silver lining, and set my friend off down a nearby path leading straight to success.  Unfortunately, my gut tells me this is not the tack to take - and that what would be far more helpful would be to let my friend go off on his own to do some deep thinking, soul searching, and a good deal of wound-licking.


Sigh.


It isn't easy being ringside.  Any suggestions?  I'm all ears, as I am currently biting my tongue.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment