Monday, June 6, 2011

Traveling Light

Imagine no possessions .....I wonder if you can 
- John Lennon 

There I was, watering the fairy-light-laden trees in the back yard of my million dollar home with the ocean breeze rustling the leaves, my dogs snoring and birds merrily chirping.  At the time I was running three small businesses (2 of which I adored).  I had satisfying projects and exhilarating  international travel plans in the offing, an attractive investment portfolio, oodles of greenbacks in the bank, five paid-for cars including a Jag convertible and custom prototype Bentley limo, an impressive collection of expensive china and silver... and then it happened... the moment I thought "Is this it?"


I considered my life's goals..... not its objectives.... the goals..... and they all boiled down to one... to understand how the universe works, or as Einstein termed it, to know "the thoughts of God."  At that moment I had a deep and overwhelming desire to eschew all creature comforts to get to the crux of what life is really all about... to do what the worthies in the Bible did in foregoing physical ease and luxury in search of enlightenment.  


An inspiration kept nagging me... or rather a not-so-subtle lyric kept running annoyingly  through my head a la the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  It called "Give it away, give it away now."  We've all had songs stuck in our head, but this was one I just could not seem to oust.  And so I began to think about it -- about getting rid of everything, living life (to the best of my ability) without a safety net.  But truth be told, I was just far too chicken to do anything of the sort, yearnings notwithstanding.


Well, they say you have to watch what you pray for, and in my case I have gotten exactly what my heart of hearts has desired most.... despite myself.  My circumstances changed dramatically for various reasons -- business closure, family and pet passings, a desire to go green and carless.... I was even divested of my entire estate's possessions, in bulk by an unscrupulous person who absconded with them then disappeared and is wholly unaware of the good she has done me.  And so just recently I found myself in the exact position I had wanted to be... relying on nothing but the most basic of basics of the human condition to sustain me.... and I have never been happier!!! -- for the reader's sake I just backspaced to remove about fifty exclamation points there.


We all have different dreams, desires and goals and I am realizing mine.  How many people can say they had their most cherished dreams come true?  But I am not just living without 'stuff' or funds... there is a plan brewing.... one dedicated to a greater good... and far too much to go into in this post.  For now, suffice it to say I will soon be embarking on my life's grand adventure.  I will be traveling light, to say the least... and yet I have never felt such uncontainable overflowing abundance as I do now.  I am truly grateful for each begrudging step that has brought me here, and for the incredible good that lies ahead.


joyfully yours,
J. 



No comments:

Post a Comment