Saturday, April 2, 2011

Epiblogue - Caught in a Non-Romance

Apparently if you procrastinate long enough, resolution will occur.


I have been derelict in my blogging duties here, not having posted since Halloween, some 5 months ago... ugh, has it really been that long?  Ironically, when I came back to once again tickle the keyboard I realized that my topic du jour is the same as the last!!!  And so I offer it as an epilogue, though I suspect there may at some point be a trilogy sequel, if not spin-off posting.


If you missed that last riveting action-packed missive on online romance, it dealt with my foolishly becoming twitterpated by a personage who, to date, exists only on the internet.  The reason for my revisiting this emo subject is because this same former object of affection contacted me out of the blue this week and the instant message chat was illuminating.  


We both blamed the other for failing to keep in touch... I should probably rewind a bit to say that when we first e-met we hit it off quickly and made a plan to get together a few weeks hence.  He backed out... granted, our plans were not firm.. but we HAD picked a date, time and activity, place to meet etc.... I just never heard back... until after the fact.... long after the fact... with an attendant apology.


Fast forward to many months hence, during which time communication dwindled to nil... until the errant hottie resurfaced... So, the other night, after confessing that he was in fact the party responsible for the cessation of communications, he dodged, parried, ducked and then IT came out... it ALL came out... In fact these are his very words: "OK, here it is. The more we chatted the more I liked you and the more I wanted to meet you --  but at the same time I forced myself to think that 'This is not real. It's just an online thing.' I had to force myself to think that way because I never agreed with nor did I understand meeting or dating someone you meet online." 


I was agog, I was aghast... ok so I am slipping into Broadway lyrics quoting, but my point is I was sincerely surprised.  I had absolutely NO idea anyone in this day and age might hold that opinion of the online intro way of meeting.  Especially cuz he is in his 30's!!!!!!  (And may I add, a veritable dreamboat!)


So what's a web denizen like me to do when she faces a conundrum?  What else?  Google it!!!  


Here is a sampling of what I found, in this case straight from NewsDial.com.  And, umm... the grammar/typos as well as the content are theirs: 


Pros of Online Dating

  • Dating sites can allow singles looking for a relationship to meet more people interested in dating than they would without this form of dating outlet
  • An online dater has a greater choice in who he or she meets because they are allowed to browse through several profiles before deciding to communicate, or they can deny communication with an interested party and still remain anonymous
  • Fear of rejection or social awkwardness can be reduced due to the fact that initial interaction through most online dating services is anonymous
  • Potential matches have a greater opportunity to get to know each others interests before put into the situation of physical interaction

Cons of Online Dating
  • Some members may join a site (particularly a free sign up) just to view profiles, whether or not they are interested in dating anyone
  • On several dating sites the number of men outnumber the number of women
  • Because of the anonymity of online dating, members may misrepresent themselves, particularly in their appearance, social and economic status, or, in some cases, age and gender
  • Some members may claim to be single when they are in fact married or in the process of a divorce
  • There are a few groups or indivudials that sign up for an online dating site in order to collect member’s email addresses or scam them out of money
Along the same lines, but a bit more scholastic in approach, is this blurb from Psychology Today


So there you have it... the curent wisdom, which clearly I do not possess.  I have met half a dozen people in the flesh whom I have initially befriended online --  with absolutely no regrets.  Not only were they just about what I expected, some were even better!  And while I may not go searching for romance... heck, I wasn't looking for it when I found it with McDreamy...  I will maintain my zealous appreciation for and participation in internet-based relationships, whatever form they take.... And yes, you may throw this blog post along with a tissue in my face if I come crying a few months from now as a result of some cyber situation gone bad.  Till then, I'm hitting the internet superhighway to visit some sweet friends, some old, some brand new, and all worth knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment